Aiden has wanted his own lemonade stand since we bought our first cup from some other future entrepreneur who knows when. Saturday was his day. His excitement was insane because I said yes. Every time he had tried me before it was going to rain or we were heading out within the hour.
I tried to cover all the basics before he was operational. Before we did anything, we discussed all the items we would need. We're working on thinking things out before starting them to allow him to carry them out more effectively, which should help in all things. We discussed all the supplies necessary, he suggested we have ice and I thought to explain in addition how starting with cold water can make a big difference too. I then went into cleanliness so we'd use plastic cups and keep them in the original packaging until serving; how he'll need to possibly make change and that the customer is his to please. Some concepts went over his head, like making change and I'm sure pleasing others was a first.
He was telling me and Brady how he was Boss of this operation in his bossy way. This was perfect. Aiden already has very good negotiating and manipulating skills but he sees bossing as brows turned in-forcing. A great opportunity to explain in a non nagging Mom way that an effective boss gets others to want to work with them and to work towards a common goal, in a kind way. This too was a new concept.
We're on a cul-de-sac so he was pretty much limited to the neighbors, their kids, their kids' girlfriends, and their grandkids. He got them all, even Brady, who had to pay. No one wanted change, thankfully for him and they typically tipped him. (Originally when I asked him what he should charge he said $9. That of course led to a pricing strategies discussion). He wanted me to hang one of his signs at the end of our 12 house length street but I told him "if we're not busy (you're still out there) in an hour, then I will". No need to discuss marketing I suppose.
Lastly I said "no running over to like Natasha (our neighbor) if you see her come out and making her buy lemonade, no yelling at people to buy". Whew, I almost missed the important one.
What did he do? He sung out "lemonade...ice cold lemonade..." like at the ballpark. On the side he had a discussion with Brady apparently as Brady was to hop on his bike and head down the street to anyone already outside and just let them know we were out there. Smart. Not too pushy. I like that.
Naturally our neighbor, Alex (soon to be 8) and more often than not chooses not to play with A or B lately because he is sooo much older than them. It's only when A or B is doing something he may want to do. Alex struts over. Starts declaring how he's going to pour (the best part!) since A will probably spill, he'll hold the money since A can't count, tells A to go get chairs. Alex brings his own toy cups (unsanitary) which he cleans with his shirt using his grubby hands, after I ask from the window. Luckily, Aiden put the cabosh on all that and Alex came back with chairs, A poured but yea we still had to tell A to be his own accountant no matter.
Our one neighbor drove by and gave A a dollar saying she would have her cup when she got back but would pay now. She came back about 3 hours later when everything was packed up and long forgotten by me. As soon as she drove into her driveway, A popped up and said how he had to go return Phyllis' money. Aw. She of course had him keep it and I got to lastly explain how sometimes he's rewarded beyond feeling good by doing good. (and by someone other than his Mom).
We'll do this again.


3 comments:
Awesome.
10 days to go, before Aunt Amanda and "that guy" get to see thier nephews.
Aunt Ra Ra would have gladly paid the $9.00 for a cup of Aidens lemonade.....of coarse with 900 kisses too!
Next time maybe you could advertise via e-mail!!
omg, autumn would be so jealous. so far, having a lemonade stand is the one goal she has. Well, that and being a veternarian archologist. very cute story.
Post a Comment