Photobucket

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Do you want to hear about my strawberries again?

Firstly, I must say plan to do a seafood boil someday if you haven't. You don't have to own a big old pot, we rented one for cents. Forgo the shrimp, just jam pack in as many king crab legs as you possibly can. It's so worth it. Then, if you do have leftovers they can be tossed with a tiny bit of mayo and lemon juice, and sandwiched between two grilled slices of bread.... Leftover Heaven.


The boys like to help/be up my tush (I lost my html code for the strike through apparently) when I'm in the kitchen sometimes like only when I don't want them there. It gets really crowded in my 10x10 kitchen. Ah a kitchen island would be so useful. Colin, who refuses to be left out of anything now pulls his own chair up to the mix.



Oh! so my strawberries.

I had more fun than ever before with these.

This is the best masterpiece of all. A fruit salsa.

I found there to be several recipes online that intrigued me so I tailored one to my taste and what I had available.

12-15 strawberries chopped
2 kiwis chopped
1 apple chopped
1-2 Tbls preserves (I used sugar free Apricot) to hold it together
Sprinkles of cinnamon and/ nutmeg



For the chips slice (or have your 5yo do it) wonton wrappers into thirds (or whatever).
Arrange on a baking sheet (or have your 3yo do that).
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 or so minutes. (I sprinkled cinnamon & sugar after spraying them with Pam on some and Splenda and cinnamon for the diabetics here).
The salsa will yield 2 baking sheets worth of chips, almost the entire wonton package.



That's it! Start to Eating is about 20 minutes at most. I'm going to make this for a third time in the next day or so. It's that yummy. Of course use what you have, blackberries, mangoes, grapes...

What else,

:: chocolate covered strawberries (Brett's favorite!)

:: strawberry frozen pops (Brady's favorite)

:: strawberry kiwi slush (Colin's favorite)

:: strawberry freezer jam (my second favorite)

:: strawberry lemonade

:: strawberry fruit roll ups (Aiden's favorite)

These were an "omigod, I have to make those!" idea/recipe I got originally from my cousin Michelle. I LOVE fruit roll ups. Boy were they time consuming. Not quite a pita but you cook the fruit, like 4 cups of it and sugar, maybe 3/4 c (or 2 cups, I completely forget) for an hour! until it thickens. And...then... after spreading it on parchment on a cookie sheet you bake it forever in a 200 degree oven. Cool forever, roll, and cut up, if it makes it that far. I'd actually just eat it before it gets to the cookie sheet if I had my way.

We also enjoyed my Mom's strawberry ice cream as Brett requested from her.

I think that might be it.

1 comment:

Shannon A. and Shannon D. said...

I'm drooling. Can't wait til they are in season here...another 3 weeks or so...if we EVER get sun!!