Photobucket

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Every year, ok not last year. I tried but I simply couldn't find the perfect ones. Although I do remember seeing a cool Hallmark motorcycle one (for B who loved motorcycles esp last yr) but it was like $30 and seriously. Seriously. I know I did get Col a 1yo one and seeing the ornaments on the tree this week has jogged my memory that A&B did both make ones in their class last yr so we'll count those as last years'. I usually let myself off the hook that easily btw.

Every yr on vacation I start my annual ornament shopping being as there are two Christmas stores where we go. This year I went straight to it without looking at any others. I am usually not that decisive but I've been looking fwd to getting the school bus ornament in a bittersweet kind of way for some years.

Our town has no sidewalks so you're a busser no matter and knowing that I prepared Aiden since before he could talk, "see the bus Aiden, 'bus', someday you'll ride a bus to school". That prep payed off because he was SO psyched for the bus. Although when I thought the bus logistics thing through before Kindergarten started I was like "shoot, it may be better if I drive him..." so I told him "no bus" and he was SO bummed. Then the bus schedule arrived right before school (and vacation) started and I saw it would be coming at about the same time I'd have to leave if I drove him so bingo! bus it was (again). Yay bus.

This year I was able to get the bus ornament. Yay bus ornament.

And so a new tradition is added to the old one. I have decided that each child will have a bus ornament.

Four months deep into school and Aiden is still thrilled about the bus, just not the bus ornament. "Brady got Darth Vader". In 2 years roles will be reversed, and then I'm sure B will be mad that Col (and A) got something more fun. Oh joy, we get to go through it again when C enters Kindy. All because Mom likes the darn school bus ornaments.

I didn't get Colin's until last week when we were together in Target. He spotted it before I did. He knows perfection. It was affordable and I had actually planned on getting/making him a ball one. He carefully held onto it throughout the store while we continued to shop. Then at home as he is just now starting to add his own two cents to our conversations in a big boy way, when I asked him to tell everyone what ornament he picked out he said "football!"



Lordy though, after seeing all the boys' ornaments, including the Baby's 1st Christmas ones (especially for my first baby) next year each of them are going to get a big box with their ornament to store all of theirs in. Although that may take all of the "who's is this?" fun out of it. Ok a few years from now when I have to beg them to stay home and decorate with me "c'mon it'll be fun", I'll do that.



Here's a little birdie, I guess it can be an ornament, I made from some fabric scraps. It was a very quick, rewarding project I was able to work on fulfilling a me aspect of my day in between doling out pretzels, crayons and every other of their little hearts' desires. There will be more of these. And B's head of hair is kind of nestlike, so he helped model it for me. :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! It's a good thing Brady doesn't read your blog! What awsome hair............;)

~