Photobucket

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"S-B-L-N-F. Does that spell anything?"

Letter combinations like this are asked by Aiden throughout the days to see if he has spelled a word. In preschool I don't think they are emphasizing the reading and spelling of words so much as sight word recognition, writing of letters and their phonics. He is still on this cusp and doesn't listen to me of course when I tell him to think of a word first and try sounding out how he thinks it's spelled.

Then today he gave me, "F-U-K. That's what I spelled at school. That spells something Mom".

Mom: "what (does it spell)?"

Aiden: "fox".

I am so pleased he actually sounded-out a word to spell; I could care less if it is misspelled.
I am so pleased he was spelling fox.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about that those phonics flashcards with magic pen that he got for Christmas?

Sounds like he'd be into that.

Let me know how it goes over.

Uncle Kevin & Aunt Amanda

Shannon A. and Shannon D. said...

Don't they just make you so proud? Fox - that's impressive. LOL He'll try that one again at the most inappropriate time too. ;-)